Tuesday, October 26, 2010

beautiful sad days . . .

i have been out west

to say goodbye to my beloved oma (grandmother) . . .

to lay her to rest in the place where she was from,
where her wisdom and her stories came from . . .


we gathered, and cried, and celebrated her life . . .
there was sadness, but also beauty . . .

a friend wrote to me this week and said
" we learn so much from that generation,
they experienced so much hardship and sadness in their lifetime . . .

and mostly survived through
their sense of humour
and stoicism,
and an ability to get through . . . "


no truer words could be spoken of my oma . . .

with her humour being paramount


these words from my friend reminded me of the post i did
HERE


my recent trip out to the willows,
where she lived these past years

will be held dearer than it was yesterday . . .

she was in fine form when i saw her then,
drinking her lambrusco (cherry cheer as she called it)
. . .
telling her wild stories . . .
smiling and winking . . .

this is how i will remember her,
true til the end . . .

oma was my friend, my hero, and my confidant . . .
she always encouraged me to love with all my heart

i will always miss her

( the church my grandfather, opa, built )

( wildflowers we picked for her coffin )

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP